The Saint Vincent de Paul Society is the charitable outreach arm of the parish. The Society coordinates parish and community donations as well as federal, state, and regional food bank support. The Society operates our weekly food pantry, provides special seasonal assistance and looks to other particular needs of the poor.
The pantry which is located near the alley next to the parish offices on 115th Street is open every Saturday from 9:00am to Noon. If you would like to donate to the food pantry there are collection boxes located at each door at the back of the Church. For larger donations please contact our parish offices.
A BRIEF HISTORY
“[Under Fr. John V. Casey, OSA]…The St. Vincent de Paul Society was founded in 1969. When the program began, food was solicited from parishioners and stored in the basement of the rectory. Volunteers would go into the basement and fill bags of food and bring them upstairs; people would come to the door of the rectory to get food on Thursday afternoons. The numbers of the needy were fairly small–usually only 10-15 people.
“[Under Fr. James Spenard, OSA]…The former garage has been turned into a food pantry under the auspices of the St. Vincent de Paul Society. Space became a much needed larger and nicer facility to store donated food. The Regional Food Bank, Letter Carriers’ Stamp Out Hunger Food Drive and Hannaford and Price Chopper supermarkets have donated generously to the food pantry which is now open on Saturdays and serves more than 100 people each week. More than 250 Thanksgiving dinners are served and some people are helped with rent, transportation, and utilities.”
excerpts are taken from Saint Augustine’s Church–A History–1864-2014
For a more complete list of our Ministries please click here.